How to Find Cheap Moving Companies
Before you settle on a moving company, you should do your due diligence to find the most reliable service provider best suited for your needs. For instance, when moving cross-country, find the best long-distance hauling company with experience moving items interstate. Here are some of the ways you can find cheap moving companies:
- Research different companies and read their reviews.
- Consult competing movers and get quotes. Also, hunt for offers where you can save more when moving on specific days of the week/month.
- Inquire about the company’s other services that come at an additional cost, as they could mean less work for you.
- Acquire the moving estimate in writing in the form of a contract.
Options to Move Affordably (Pros/Cons)
Understandably, you can get a tad concerned about moving interstate or cross-country, as even the cheapest movers will likely cost a few thousand dollars. But it’s also possible to have an affordable and positive moving experience. Below are a few ways to cut moving costs, with pros and cons.
Some unwanted items, such as vintage collectibles, electronics, garage tools, or designer fashion, might be lying around the house. Rather than moving these items into your new home, you can sell them through platforms like eBay, Gone, or Craigslist.
The main advantages are that the sale will help you reduce clutter and get some extra money, but the flip side is that you could lose items of sentimental value or get an amount less than the item’s worth.
Renting a moving truck can be convenient and cost-effective when relocating, and it allows flexibility and control and is more affordable than hiring a professional mover. But it’s not often the best solution.
Some of the challenges of DIY moving are loading and offloading the truck and possibly breaking delicate items. And in the process, you could incur back injuries, making the relocation even more stressful.
PODS are cheaper than hiring a professional mover since you aren’t paying for the labor. You get to pack at your leisure, you can store your items temporarily, and they are secure. But unfortunately, they are only suitable for temporary use and are not ideal for city moves. Apart from being too obvious and destroying curb appeal, you will also have to do the heavy lifting yourself.
- Hiring Moving Professionals
Hiring a professional is often the best option for moving. And since they come with custom and additional services on-demand, they are great for moving delicate items like artwork, pianos, or antiques. But it comes at an added cost, especially when you need a custom move.
What Impacts Moving Costs?
The three main factors that will affect your moving costs are the size of your home, the move distance, and the cost of the professional mover. Some additional expenses will increase the total, including loading/offloading items and dismantling and assembling furniture.
Specialty services like vehicle shipping, cleaning, junk removal, and custom crating can increase your costs considerably. However, hiring a professional mover can help make the relocation less stressful while preventing any injuries to yourself.
Tips to make your move more affordable
- One of the best ways to reduce moving costs is to avoid peak moving seasons, such as the beginning of summer when renters’ and students’ leases end.
- You can use your own packaging to prevent buying extra boxes.
- Create “keep, donate, or throw away” piles to help you sort out what you still want and what you don’t.
- And most importantly, plan for the move as early as possible, packing one room at a time. Don’t leave things until the last minute.
- Lastly, label each box with detail, and note the fragile ones that need extra care.